Thursday, February 25, 2010

All (pantry) moth and bothered

It's the end of summer here in the Southern Hemisphere and the dreaded pantry moths (Indian meal moths or flour moths) have reared their feelered heads. I have it on good advice from Pop, who knows all about these things, that any eggs that are already in your pantry dry goods will hatch in February.

These sticky EnviroSafe Pantry Moth Traps (above), two to a pack, are cleaning up the moths that have appeared in my kitchen. Apparently it's only the male moths that head into the faux-wood cardboard traps, attracted by the lure that smells like a female moth. Some other natural, cheaper deterrents, such as cedar oil and cloves, in the cupboard may work, but the only real remedy, of course, is to go through the dry goods and throw out what's infested. Wish me luck. – Pru

PS I found these traps at Coles supermarket, but they are also readily online (try www.gardenersdirect.com.au).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just bought these traps at Home depot and I watched the moths walk right across the sticky part. How did they work for you? How long did it take for them to be gone? are they gone?

Pru and Sage said...

Hi Patty, the moth traps worked well and they have all disappeared. Perhaps the glue isn't as strong on the traps you bought... the ones I bought were so sticky that my fingers would nearly get stuck when applying the scented pad. Or perhaps they are old stock? Hope you find a solution! Pru