Sunday, October 18, 2009

A tasty way to be water-wise

In these dry days, it's a shame to throw away used water. Every morning, I empty my now cool hot water bottles (I use three: one under my neck, another on my tummy and one on my toes) onto the pots of dwarf tomatoes we have hanging on the deck.

My friend Flo has an even better way to use the unsalted water left over from steaming or boiling vegetables. She suggests you can cool it and use it to water potplants – how nutritious is that? I think the tomatoes would drink it up. Flo also suggests you can freeze the vegie flavoured water for use to make further dishes.

Her favourite way to use leftover potato water is in Vichyssoise or potato and leek soup. She also reserves the potato water for use in making a lighter version of mashed spuds by adding it with a dash of milk. For a flavour boost you can also use vegie water for boiling pasta, rice or frozen vegies and most dishes you’d use stock for like boiling pasta. Thanks for the flavoursome ideas, Flo. – Sage

PS Flo is based in Sydney NSW and comes from an aromatherapy and skincare angle and is into organic everything! She's dedicated to helping people create turnaround for unwanted skin conditions. Call for more details, 02 9417 7114.

0 comments: