Wednesday, September 16, 2009

How to make a fruit fly trap

Some of my more worldly friends raised their eyebrows when they saw this contraption sitting on my kitchen table. Of course, I had to assure them that my homemade fruit-fly trap is all above board and doing a marvellous job of protecting my $2.50 pomegranate (this week's decadent fruit treat!) – plus Pop, who's 88, gave me the instructions, so enough already!

Here's how to make a fruit-fly trap: take a soft-drink bottle, remove the lid and cut the neck off; take another bottle and use a sharp knife to cut a round hole in it. Insert the bottle neck into the hole in the other bottle, and chuck in a piece of fruit. That's it! The flies can get in, but not out. Pru

PS To despatch the blighters more quickly to that big fruit bowl in the sky, forget the fruit and carefully pour in a cup of water, a splash of bleach and a teaspoon of vanilla essence.

1 comments:

Indy Jones said...

Hi Pru, Love your work! I was going to ask what that contraption was on your table. Now I know. Brilliant idea. Tell Pop he's a genius. Janice